Friday, March 24, 2006

Things I've just learned

posted by The Vidiot @ 12:54 PM Permalink

Everyone knows that 2x4s aren't really 2 inches by 4 inches. They USED to be. (I know that for a fact because the feet of my 1925 letterpress machine are mounted to true 2x4 pieces of wood that are oh so old.) But they aren't anymore. Now, 2x4s are more like 1.5 x 3.5. I call it "coffee sizing." Used to be you'd buy coffee in cans by the pound. Then came the coffee crunch of the 70s and they reduced the amount in the cans but charged the same amount. The can's physical size didn't change, but the amount of coffee in the can decreased. Well, they do the same thing with wood.

So, last time I built bookshelves (in 1994), 1x12 were .75 x 11.75. Well, guess what? That was then and this is now. I recently purchased wood for bookshelves and asked for 1x12 and got .75 x 11.125!! A full half inch narrower! Which like totally messed up the final project.

Now, my questions is this: Is Loews screwing me, or is that just the way it really is now?

Also, I learned another valuable lesson: DO NOT cut corners and try to use the coloured polyurethane stuff. It glops on and drips and is uneven and smells nasty. Do the right thing. Either stain it and use clear, water soluble polyurethane, or pay someone else to do it for you.

These are valuable lessons I'm sharing with you so you don't blow your weekends like we have.

This has been a public service announcement. The more you know...

2 Comments:

At 2:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude - Alway's measure the dimensions of wood before you buy it. Loews isn't screwing you anymore than anyone else. 1x12's have been .75 x 11.25 for as long as I remember.

Also, applying stain to wood is very tricky business. It requires reading the directions and following them carefully. Most people do not have the patience to do it properly. Manufacturers always recommend experimenting on scrap wood or a less obvious area first. Don't think of it as a blown weekend. You now have very valuable personal experience.

 
At 9:36 PM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

Oh, I learned alright. And these boards were l.75 x 11.125, not 11.25. 11.25 I was expecting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home