Saturday, September 09, 2006

This pleases the hell out of me.

posted by The Vidiot @ 1:22 PM Permalink

Really, it does.
Excerpt: Excessively skinny fashion models will be barred from a major Madrid fashion show later this month for fear they could send the wrong message to young Spanish girls, local media reported.
Why it was just yesterday, I was walking into the subway, and saw an ad that was for Fashion Week (this week) here in NY. Every single girl in the ad looked like she hadn't been fed anything substantial in weeks. I had this unbelievably strong urge to pull out an enormous Sharpie and write over the pictures "EAT SOMETHING!"

Now, I'm considered to be thin by many, but even I am appalled at the standard of beauty that is held up by these images.

Blech.

UPDATE (by the Sailor):
Cathy Gould, of New York's Elite modeling agency: "I think its outrageous, I understand they want to set this tone of healthy beautiful women, but what about discrimination against the model and what about the freedom of the designer," said Gould, Elite's North America director, adding that the move could harm careers of naturally "gazelle-like" models.
Sheesh! How about the harming of the careers of all the normal women who could be models? How about designers have to deal with the shapes of an actual woman and not the clothes hangers that the current models emulate. Heck, even I could drape fabrics on a planform that didn't include titz or hipz.

I took a poll ... OK, I just asked me, so I guess it was just a pole ... but the results are in and I have never found the ubermodels very stimulating, much less attractive.

They kinda remind me of the old Sophie Tucker joke:
"Soph?! You've got no titz and a tight box."
So I says to him: "Ernie?! Get off my back!"
Funny line, but with today's models ... how can you tell?

2 Comments:

At 7:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's fantastic news. As a mother of three and a huge saggy stomach to boot - though I am working it off at Curves :O) - I say hallelujah. This kind of stuff puts so much pressure on women and even kids. My 7 year old has felt self conscious about what she's eating which really for a normal healthy little girl it shouldn't even come into your head. It's about time they put real women on those cat walks rather than people who take drugs, are alcoholics, never eat and smoke obsessively.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

Ohmigawd. You like totally did an homage to my dad! That "Soph" thing was one of his favorite bits.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home