Thursday, October 12, 2006

My minimum wage thought

posted by The Vidiot @ 12:10 PM Permalink

Raising the mimimun wage is sort of a red herring. Sure, it sounds good. Give people more money and more money will be spent. BUT just how many of those getting the increase would no longer qualify for aid? In some areas, I'm sure they'd make "too much money to qualify" and where would that leave them?

Until someone credible does a cost/benefit analysis on how this would effect those at the lowest end of our economy, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

Then again, maybe I'm stupid.

2 Comments:

At 6:36 PM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

The min wage hasn't gone up since 1997.

The minimum wage fell about 29% in real terms between 1979 and 2003.

If it was advantageous to repubs to raise it for the reasons you said, they would be all over it, instead they've worked very hard to kill it.

If you work full time at minWage you make $10,712/yr.

(BTW, I'm not an economist and I don't even play one on TV;-) JMHO.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

No. You're right. After I posted it I thought "That was kinda dumb" though, honestly, when I'm in one of my conspiratorial modes, there's no stopping me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home