Monday, May 05, 2008

Stu day

posted by The Vidiot @ 11:32 AM Permalink

As always, I like to mention my dad on this day since this is the day he died due to complications from his treatment for tongue cancer, a cancer he got from smoking. I usually write about what a grizzly death it was, but not his time. This time, I'm reprinting a note I just got from my stepmom who, ironically enough, has been battling cancer of the trachea for the last year or so and it has recently come back with a vengeance and she's due to have her voicebox removed in a few weeks. (Both of them ended up with cancers that hindered their ability to communicate).
I was just thinking it's almost Cinco deMayo, how odd that all this had to happen so sinfully close. I'll still toast him as usual, although next year, I think he & I will be toasting together. I see my surg. onc. tomorrow I want the FACTS and I mean all of them. I refuse to live with a stoma, I realize to so many that sounds petty, but I have to be sedated almost 24 hrs a day because of the panic attacks at just the thought of it. I feel I've lived a full life, pissed off enough folks & have had a lot of love & hate, enough for four people so I'm not bitching. It's been a pleasure to have known you & your family, God bless.
Still want to smoke that cigarette?

(Sorry to be such a downer, but cigarettes REALLY piss me off.)

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Blogger Bill Arnett said...

My condolences for the loss of your father and the problems your mom is going through. Please tell your mother that if anyone recommends radiation treatments to turn and run away to get a second & third opinion. THEY DON'T TELL YOU that the worst of the 'scarring' from radiation, like it won't inflict its worst damage until 10 yrs have passed.

The radiation I had shot through my neck four times a day for six weeks was bad enough, lost over 45 lbs in weight and i was unfortunate enough to watch one senior after another die from the severity of the side effects. AND THEN THEY HAD TO GO IN AND OPERATE ANYWAY, so the only thing taking almost 7,000 rads did was to aggravate my neurological damage making it progressively worse, and having now passed the ten yr mark all the cartilaginous structures of my throat and neck are severely scarred, hard as a rock, and making a simple thing like swallowing water a real chore.

So if radiation comes up, RUN, don't walk to find the correct surgical procedure 'cause radiation just does more harm than good in the long run.

I strongly feel that at some future point radiation therapy will come to be viewed as the modern day equivalent of the ancient practice of bloodletting.

In the meantime I cheer your mom's good spirits and her wonderful viewpoints on this.

 
At 1:22 PM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

my stepmom is nothing if not piss and vinegar. she's already chemo'd out and i think they maxed her out on radiation as well. it came back AFTER all of that.

of course, she didn't stop smoking either....

your attitude ain't so bad either you know.

 
At 2:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I paid dearly for my attitude _ but I'll be cheering for your Mom and absolutely wish her the best

 

Post a Comment

<< Home