Thursday, September 25, 2008

The blog post I wish I had written

posted by The Vidiot @ 8:03 AM Permalink

The economic crisis explained, neatly and succinctly along with some good ideas to rectify it, by Arizona Chuck.
Start with a simple example. Assume I know the young son of the couple next door likes to crawl into closets and play with matches. I therefore see a reasonably good shot at "winning the disaster lottery" so to speak, by buying fire insurance on their $200,000 house.

In simple terms, I now have a financial interest is seeing that disaster occurs. If the house, for whatever mysterious reason, burns down an insurance company will pay me the insured value of the house - even though I suffered no loss, financial or otherwise. My neighbor's misfortune is thus magically transformed into my good fortune. A polite way of saying I was paid $200,000, the insured value of my next-door neighbor's house, after I paid the $400 insurance premium.
He doesn't post often, but when he does, it's worth it.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home