FIRE THEM ALL!posted by The Vidiot @ 11:24 AM Permalink I actually got polled this weekend. I never get polled. It was for the dem primary in my district. Now, my congresscritter has been in congress for like 25 years. He used to be called the "Marlboro Man"' because of all the money he took from big tobacco. He's, frankly, kind of useless. Never takes a stand on anything. The poll was actually a push poll against him, but I didn't need that to say I wouldn't be voting for the incumbent.
I think that, wherever possible, we should vote against ALL the incumbents, sans those few who actually bother to fight for their constituency, like Dennis Kucinich. I mean, here's a California Congressman who, for all intents and purposes, whether it's illegal or not, used his position in congress to boost real estate values in his district, which included real estate that he owned. He's been in congress since 1992. That's about 10 years too long by my standards.
If we're going to revolutionize this government, we have to do a few things:
- We need to have term limits. No congressman should have more than two terms and no senator more than one. That will get rid of the career politicians and it will make sure that people who manipulate the system can't do too much harm.
- We should make sure that no family member of a senator or president still living can become a senator or president, respectively. (I'm tired of the reign of the Borgias, aren't you?)
- We should also make all elections publicly funded so that there are more people eligible to run.
- We should institute instant runoff voting so that third parties become viable. And finally,
- We should get rid of the electoral college. It's ridiculous.