Thursday, December 14, 2006

Up the down Lowercase

posted by The Vidiot @ 8:12 PM Permalink

skippy and SteveAudio have their differences about music. Me, I'm no Arbitron of such disputes, but I got something to say.

I agree with both of them. Whenever I hear a cover of a song that was just so supremely nailed by an artist I wonder 'what the fuc hell were they thinking!?' when someone else covered it.

But when I hear Fiona Apple singing "Across the Universe", Joe Cocker doing "She came in thru the Bathroom Window" and (gasp!) Guns N' Roses covering "Live and Let Die" I have to open my head just a bit and acknowledge something new was made of these songs that brought the original intent into sharper focus. (I used The Beatles in all 3 examples because I've rarely heard such perfect originals have something added.)

All art is subjective, it's what makes it Art. If you love velvet Elvises, they are art for you. No one has the right to say otherwise. The mere fact that a piece of art moved you, whether it was music, movement, sculpture, painting , (and all the other art forms I don't have time or space to mention), means you are certifiably human.

So I think skippy and SteveAudio are both right ... and both wrong.

4 Comments:

At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well said!

Of course, opinions are just like...

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

i second that emotion!

 
At 7:11 PM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

I say Hah! and Feh! to both of you!
After all, you guys are the ones who pawed my shot!

I'm reloading and will fire at will, (tho Will has never done anything to me I'm telling the UN he has WMDs;-)

 
At 7:09 AM, Blogger Carl said...

I agree that, to the extent there's a vast middle, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

But...come on...other than idiotic novelty, what is William Shatner doing covering "Rocket Man"?

Kate Bush? Great version.

William Shatner? Laughable the first three times you hear it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home