Saturday, April 26, 2008

My perspective on the verdict

posted by The Vidiot @ 11:56 AM Permalink

Mr. Vidiot has his take on it, now here's mine:

After the verdict, there were no riots. There was no unease. As a white woman, nobody said anything to me. I didn't feel threatened. I didn't see throngs of people crying, screaming, rending their clothing. Nothing. It was shocking.

I remember, way back when, in 1989 (yes, I've been here that long) when the whole Yusef Hawkins thing was going down. It was a racial attack. Rioting ensued all over the place. I was a young 20-something, riding the train late one night soon after the attack and a bunch of African-American kids were at one end of the car and I was at the other. When the doors closed, they started to look at me and point and say "Let's F--ck her for Yusef!" "Yeah!" I don't even know what I did, but I think I just sort of smiled at them, acknowledging their existence, but I didn't let them know I was terrified. I didn't even bother to get off the train at the next stop. I just sat there like I couldn't be bothered. Stupid? Probably, but nothing happened. Which was lucky because all sorts of that happened then. (Which, actually, fits Mr. Vidiot's theory that you don't have to fear the loud mouths. It's the quiet ones you should watch out for.)

Now, nearly 20 years later, nothing. It's like the whole population of NYC is on drugs or something. Nobody was particularly bothered by anything. What is going on?

Update: Sharpton is saying something about a protest. We shall see.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home