Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Obit: Albert Hofmann, 102; Chemist Discovered LSD…

posted by Bill Arnett @ 1:42 PM Permalink

…from the washingtonpost.com:
Albert Hofmann, 102, a Swiss chemist and accidental father of LSD who came to view the much-vilified and abused hallucinogen he discovered in 1938 as his "problem child," died April 29 at his home in Burg, a village near Basel, Switzerland, after a heart attack.
Mike McConnel and the senior staff at the CIA mourns the loss of this pioneer in the use of psycho-tropic drugs to torture unsuspecting prisoners, people selected off the street at random, and staff alike.

Mr. Hofman's death has been confirmed, but it will not be until he comes down from his last high and returns to his corporeal self that he can actually be buried.

Jerry Garcia has promised to return from the dead to sing a special eulogy.

Note: Despite the joking I extend the condolences of me and my family to Mr. Hofman's family. R.I.P.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 3:23 PM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

Since he lived to be 102, can we now dispel the myth that LSD is bad for you?

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You'd certainly think so! Although, truth be known, I only tried LSD once and it scared me so bad I have never even considered trying it again.

Not that it was bad, mind you, but the rush, the colors, the insatiable taste for beer, and hitting the dry lake beds down at Edwards AFB doing 90 miles an hour and then wrenching the steering wheel all the way over to spin 'round and 'round was just so damn much fun I knew if I ever did it again and had another such experience I would never come back to earth!

"Ground Control to Major Tom
Commencing countdown, engines on
Check ignition and may God's love be with you" (h/t David Bowie, of course!)

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger The Sailor said...

I would never advocate that someone should take LSD ... but it's always worked for me. (paraphrasing Hunter S. Thompson)

And yes, we can dispel gov't propaganda; there were no birth defects; Art Linkletter's daughter did not commit suicide because of it; there are no such things as 'LSD flashbacks.'

But 'Reefer Madness' is a constant danger!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home