Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Why I don't use NetFlix

posted by The Vidiot @ 7:39 AM Permalink

Because of crap like this:
Princeton's Paul Ohm writes about Netflix's insane new plan to release millions of customers' personal information -- ZIP code, gender, year of birth -- as a sequel to its Netflix Challenge. Latanya Sweeney's famous study on de-anonymizing data has shown that date (not just year) of birth, gender and ZIP are sufficient to personally identify 87% of Americans. In other words, Netflix is about to put the behavioral data about viewing choices for millions of Americans into the public domain, despite its legal duty to keep this information private.

I use GreenCine instead.

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 1:06 PM, Blogger Bill Arnett said...

That's why I purchased all my DVDs, all 2,000+ of them. Wanna see my viewing habits? Tough nuggies!

 
At 2:10 PM, Blogger Bill Arnett said...

(Besides, ve haf a dossier on you!)

 
At 3:16 PM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

please. my dossier was created when i wrote a 'please don't blow us up' letter to ronnie reagan when i was in high school and a member of students for social responsibility.

I hardly think my addiction to farscape could ring any bells.

 
At 4:12 PM, Blogger Bill Arnett said...

You kill me.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Bill Arnett said...

BTW, have you followed or bought the first season of "Fringe?" WOW! It's like the X-Files on steroids, speed, AND acid all at once.

Indisputably my favorite new series!

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

Really? I saw two episodes and thought it was sort of, 'meh.

Maybe I should give it a shot.

 
At 6:16 PM, Blogger Bill Arnett said...

There are many episodes that will flatly blow you away as you get deeper and deeper in the series. Mila and I sat glued to our video system (which would positively embarrass many theaters) for an entire day and half the night to see the whole thing without interruptions.

Buy it, if ya don't like it I'll reimburse you. (It helps if ya have a big LCD screen, 2,800 watts of power pushing RL Polk voice-matched true 20-20kz speakers, but I think you'll like it anyway as a Farscape fan - I have w-a-a-a-y too much time on my hands.)

 
At 6:28 PM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

boy howdeee do you.

wish i had a little of 'dat.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home