Monday, January 26, 2009

The Conception of Vidiotspeak

posted by The Sailor @ 8:36 PM Permalink

and The Vidiot
The Vidiot was born in the back seat of Bartcop's TV Review page back in 2002. The TV page had started some time in 2000 or 2001 and at some point, things started to get to me and I felt the need to start spouting. The language was quite, um, blue. But hey, I was still young. The first post I could find was dated February 8, 2002. Corporate greed was big, political stupidity was in the news and Corporate-owned media was still a thorn in my side. Not much has changed. At some point, the Sailor offered to mirror the geocities site because of high traffic and finally, I gave up the TV commentary and just did the "I'm pissed" page. Then we moved over to blogger, I invited him to co-blog because his emails were so funny and so VidiotSpeak was born on this date in 2006.

It used to be just me and the Sailor in our lonely little corner of the blogosphere, and we tried adding a few other personalities here and there but we had a hard time finding someone who would post often enough to be considered a third... until Bill. Bill completes our blog-triumvirate. Now we work like a well-oiled machine (or a well-medicated one, whatever) and VidiotSpeak is now a huge part of global popular culture, referenced by celebrities, pundits, politicians and all great people of import. It is a world-wide phenom.

OK, that last bit was just wishful thinking.

Thanks for reading. Tell all your friends. Onward and upward.
********************
Addendum by The Sailor: I was wandering/wondering around blogtopia (y, wksctp!) and found this mewling baby in the backseat of Bartcop ... but seriously folks, as soon as I read the first post of The Vidiot it was a daily read for me. I loved the writing and the subjects and the attitude. I'd see news, funny things, kinda weird things, some I knew about, some I never had a clue about. And who could resist the tag line "Because I'm pissed off and my friends are sick of listening to me" (it's evolved a bit;-)

I was pissed off too, I'd talk to friends about Iraq, WMDS, Enron etc, and they would humor me, thinking that since they'd read their daily paper I must be a dirty fu*king hippy or crazy. Well, I can't deny the crazy part, but us DFH's were right!

And then came the day when I couldn't get my fix because The Vidiot was so popular she'd exceed the allowable bandwidth. I had some bandwidth to offer and mirrored the site. Then she needed a break and I filled in for a week.

And then ... and thennn (cue the music) she started a blog and asked me to contribute. Aw shucks, me!? I'd commented on other folk's blogs but I can't put myself out there! Especially not with the same guts and panache that The Vidiot does! But I did. Of course not with the same guts and panache she did & does.

And we stumbled around a bit finding even more people to join. You might think blogging's easy, but when you have a full time job and/or a family and/or kids and/or health issues, and/or girlfriends, boyfriends, boy/girlfriends!? It's tough and you have to have people that are productive, willing to disagree with you, but always have your back.

We found an absolute gem in Bill Arnett. I just can't say enough about how much I appreciate Bill. He grounds me, uplifts me, and writes so well I can almost feel his pain and I always laugh at his humor.

3 years of blogging and I've never met my co-bloggers in meat space. I live in the fly-over states, they live on the east and west coasts. We sometimes disagree, occasionally we talk over each other, but we always seem to make it work. At the very least, it works for us. Kinda like a family, a family separated by 1500 miles in each direction. No wonder we get along!

Happy blogiversary folks, may we have many more!

p.s. Bill, chime in here anytime you want, you know where the edit button is!

NOTE: I have no greater influences in my life than my Warrior Woman, Mila, and writing for this blog. From Day One it was as if I had joined a very special family, and I cannot find the words to express my gratitude to my fellow writers here; I am honored beyond belief. I may not always hit the mark and say exactly what I mean to say, but at least I don't sugarcoat my feelings and I'm fortunate that Sailor saw that an got me signed on board. It' been a gas, gas, gas guys! Bill

UPDATE & correction:The Vidiot & I were in no way intending to demean or diminish the fine job Marty at Bartcop Entertainment does every day. We owe him/her a great debt and an apology. Marty, we were trying for humor, frequently it fails.

Update & correction II: The Vidiot's column first appeared in July 2001!

Thanks Marty for the correction and history lesson!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 11:04 PM, Blogger darkblack said...

And a happy blogiversary to you all.

;>)

 
At 11:40 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

good work, kids, happy blogiversary, and many happy more to ya!

 
At 2:17 AM, Blogger ellroon said...

Throws confetti!

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

opens mouth, tilts head back to catch confetti.

 
At 2:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am a daily reader and your postings provide provocative and enlightening ideas. Clearly you all lead interesting lives and do your homework -- the resulting commentaries are unique, intelligent and a clear read on the world's "Daily Shit" as it hits the fan. Congratulations and don't stop making your noise!

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger The Vidiot said...

Wow. Thanks.

 
At 6:03 PM, Blogger The Sailor said...

I can't say it any better than Vid did.

Wow. Thanks.

 
At 7:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, kind, sir, and I wish you the very best of life, freedom, and your right to seek out your own Warrior Woman!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home