Saturday, January 20, 2007

Another night out

posted by The Vidiot @ 10:56 AM Permalink

and now, I'm even more perplexed.

I know, I know. If I go on like this, I risk soundling like a bitter old woman. But go on, I must.

Last night's foray took us to a 'meet market' in Park Slope. It wasn't a meet market in the way meet markets used to be. Basically, it was just a bunch of same-sex groups out to be seen and maybe even hook-up, but more to just have fun. Now, unlike the last place we went to last week, the techno club, where everyone was a little grungy looking and it was very dark and the music was horrid, this place was decently lit, had tolerable music and the girls looked like girls. But what I noticed was that the guys were, well, like girls. When they chatted with the girls, they talked about whatever the girls wanted to talk about. Now, I know, some of them were being polite so they could 'score' or whatever they call it these days, but I don't remember guys being able to even talk like that with girls. The guys I knew would scoff, roll their eyes and go off somewhere with friends and make rude and annoying comments.

I guess I'm just sort of perplexed by the whole blurring of distinctions between men and women thing. Why do that? What's the point? To be non-threatening? Mr. Vidiot says that the lack of distinction points to the power of hegemony because the impetus for agency is threatened. [Well, of course he would put it that way.] I personally just think that for there to be distinctions, there has to be depth of thought, and I just don't see any depth in these people.

Then again, I'm probably just an old woman who is performing her role as "when I was a younger, men and women were different and we LIKED it that way."

But honestly, thinking back to when I was in my 20s (and yes, I remember it well), I don't recall too many guys who were straight, but sort of feminine. There were a few, but there weren't many. Most of them were just guys. Big, dumb guys.

And we LIKED it that way.

1 Comments:

At 10:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ideal man should talk to us as if we were goddesses, and treat us as if we were children. He should refuse us all our serious requests and gratify every one of our whims. He should encourage us to have caprices, and forbid us to to have missions. He should always say much more than he means, and always mean much more than he says. The other Oscar Wilde.

The ideal male should have the body of a man, the touch of a woman, and the mind of a devil. This Oscar Wilde.

As with cross ply tyres, some things are best left in the past.

Metrosexual is the contemporary term.
The third on the list is probably the most acurate. Particularly the last sentence as, who'd a thunk it, it endorses my prior reflections.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=metrosexual

 

Post a Comment

<< Home