Monday, May 04, 2009

Nobody wants a Spanish Inquisition ... except Christains

posted by The Sailor @ 5:28 PM Permalink

The Religious Dimensions of the Torture Debate

Amid intense public debate over the use of torture against suspected terrorists, an analysis by the Pew Research Center's Forum on Religion & Public Life of a new survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press illustrates differences in the views of four major religious traditions in the U.S. about whether torture of suspected terrorists can be justified. Differences in opinion on this issue also are apparent based on frequency of attendance at religious services.
Please note that the question posed was about torture of suspected terrorists, not 'harsh interrogation tactics' of 'known terrorists.'

The 'Christians' supported torture. Evangelicals, Catholics, Protestants, all think some torture is OK even if the subject of that torture is just suspected of being a 'terrorist.'

I'm not an atheist, I believe in god, but this is yet another reason I'll never believe in religions. The more you go to church the more you believe that torture is justified!

WTF is wrong with this picture!? Religionists are always saying how their belief keeps them on a moral path. I've always thought that knowing right from wrong had nothing to do with religion, but I never would have suspected it would be so flipped from right to wrong in the faiths I grew up in.

It seems to me that the way you treat others will be how you will be treated.

It's not exactly original, since it's been phrased in all the major faiths in the world.

Maybe my conclusions are wrong, I'm just going by the stats ... and my beliefs.



Cross posted at SteveAudio

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home