Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Hello from Tornado Land!

posted by The Vidiot @ 10:34 AM Permalink


St. Louis may not have the nightlife and the restaurants that New York does, but hell, nothing beats leaving with the perpetual threat of being sucked up over the rainbow! And according to this one youtube blogger that's been pretty accurate with his predictions, we're gonna get something nasty here in the next 24-48 hours. So better post now while I still can.


Also, sorry for the light posting... again.


What has been occupying my time is getting ready for our summer trip down south, waaaay down south, so Dr. Vidiot can finally get himself fluent in Spanish. Toughest part about that is not the packing or the closing down of the apartment, but finding someone to babysit our dog. Plans A, B and C fell through. I'm now working on D, E and F. E MIGHT come through. I'm hoping it does. Otherwise, no trip.


Another thing that's been occupying my time is I've finally gotten through three chapters of the graphic novel I'm working on. Being unemployed really helps with that. (The employment situation in St. Louis for my line of work is, apparently, dismal.)


Also, Dr. Vidiot's recent research is sucking up some time because I do the transcribing of his interviews. Right now he's researching violence in schools and the kids he interviews mumble and use all sorts of weird slang, not to mention the sort of bizarre southern accent they have.


So, have I been paying attention to politics? Not so much. Had a good laugh over the Dominique Strauss-Kahn nonsense. Honestly, why anyone expects someone in the position of power to behave any other way is beyond me. When you're used to looking at those not in power as things, treating them as such is second nature. James Petras has a good spin on it:



The attempted rape and sexual abuse of an African cleaning woman by the Managing Director of the International Monetary Fund, Dominique Strauss-Kahn (DSK) embodies, in microcosm, the entire historical and contemporary legacy of colonial neo-colonial relations.



The whole rapture thing kind of cracked me up. I also liked that some folks in Seattle left piles of clothes all over the place to make it look like someone had just been raptured.


I've also been keeping an I eye the Japan radiation thing. The news has been light, making everyone feel like the crisis is over. It's not and it won't be for decades, if that.


And do I care that Arnold has a love child or two or three? Oh hell no.


The next time I post will hopefully be from south of the border. I have my activated and charcoal in one hand and cipro in the other.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh well, for the greatest extent, all I have to worry about are earthquakes and crooked cops.

DanD

 

Post a Comment

<< Home